Kadaknath is an Indian breed of chicken also called Kali Masi. It is the most popular breed of India because of its adaptability and its grey-black meat. These birds are mostly bred by the rural, tribals, and Adivasis.
Kadaknath birds are grey-black in color. The greyish black color is present in its legs, beak, tongue, comb, toenails, and even the meat bones and organs have grey coloration.
They originated from the Dhar and Jhabua district of Madhya Pradesh and adjoining Gujarat and Rajasthan’s districts, covering about 800 square miles.
Kadaknath Chicken Breed
The demand for kadaknath Chicken is increasing day by day and spread across most of the Indian states. It is rising, especially in the states of Kerala, Andra Pradesh, Telangana, and Tamil Nadu.
Kadaknath chicken can be reared similarly to country chicken. Initially, it may require little more care to grow in a controlled environment. Later they can be left free in the open field. They can easily be grown in backyard farming rather than on commercial scales.
Advantage of Kadaknath Chicken breed
- Following are advantages of growing Kadaknath chicken-
- It is famous for its meat quality, texture, and taste.
- It is beneficial for medical purposes.
- This chicken breed is adaptable to any environment.
- This bird meat contains many kinds of amino acids and vitamins.
- Better FCR, the Kedarnath birds, convert feed quickly into the meat.
- The Kadaknath chicken eggs are used to treat headaches, asthma, and chronic disease.
- The Kadaknath chicken eggs have good nutritional values and especially good for older people.
- As compared to other poultry breeds, these birds’ meat is rich in protein, less fat, and low cholesterol.
Kadaknath chicken meat and its eggs are sold for a high price in the market at around Rs 900 to Rs 1000/kg. This helps farmers in earning higher profits. Because of the high feed conversion ratio, these birds can gain a bodyweight of 1.10 to 1.25 kg in 100 to 125 days.
Kadaknath is one of the rarest birds available in the world. Its chicken farming is a low maintenance profitable business and provides jobs to a lot of people. It has helped many poultry farmers to increase their income.