Chronic Respiratory Disease (CRD) is one of the most common diseases of poultry. This disease in poultry occurs in transition season or weather changes and to the birds of all ages. Based on gross lesion, the incidence of CRD was observed highest during summer followed by winter and rainy season.
Species Affected by CRD Chicken, Turkeys, and other avian species are most vulnerable to this disease.
What are the causes of CRD:
- Mycoplasma gallisepticum bacteria cause CRD in the birds.
- It is a cell wall-less bacteria responsible for CRD mainly live in poultry birds and causes significant damage to the bird’s respiratory system.
- When spread out of body, they can only exist 1-3 days in feces and 4-5 days in mucus.
Symptoms of CRD
- The major symptoms of CRD are:
- Coughing, Sneezing, Sniffling, and nasal discharge
- Difficulty in Breathing
- Shaking of the Head
- Face swelling
- Closed eyes
- Lack of appetite
- Slow growth
- Leg problems
- As the Feed consumption drops, it leads to a decreased egg production.
- Morbidity rate ( affected by the disease) high but not mortality rate (Death rate)
- Reduce hatchability and chick viability
- Abnormal Feathers in broilers
- Thin and weak birds with razor-blade breasts
- A decline in weight gain.
Sometimes CRD slowly spreads and leads to low production, retarded growth, and wet noses.
Treatment of CRD in Poultry
- Disinfect the farm with Viraclean Disinfectant.
- Ciprocolen is the best medicine for CRD in Poultry.
- Chicks who arrive from known infected parent flocks should be treated with Ciprocolen during the first 48 hours after placement and then subsequently at 20 – 24 days for 24 to 48 hours period.
- Bio – Tilmiconsin is a very effective antibiotic to CRD in poultry. 1ml/12.5kg BW in 0.3 ml/liter of water should be given continuously for three days.
- Tylosin Powder (62.5%) is also useful for treating CRD, i.e. 1gram powder in 1 liter of water for continuously 4-5 days.
- You should provide Electrolytes. Bio Vita Electrolytes or Bio Electrolytes for good immunity of poultry birds should be used.
- The birds should be treated with Megadox-N powder i.e. 1gram/4 liter of drinking water and immuplus (indian herbs) 0.5 gram/ 25 birds for seven consecutive days.
- For proper immunity, they should be treated with various vitamins, especially Bio-Vseason C 10%.
- Drinking water of poultry should be free from contamination therefore you should treat it with Aquacure.
- You should provide proper ventilation, good feed, and stable nutrients.
Prevention of CRD in Poultry
- The chick should be free from CRD before buying from the hatchery.
- Chicks should be raised where there is no approach of infected birds and avoid dusty conditions inside a shed.
- Disposing of dead birds by incineration or by special disposal pits.
- Sufficient isolation to prevent airborne infections from infected flocks.
- You should use free from contamination vaccines.
- Houses should be constructed so that there is no entry of any wild birds and animals.
- Prohibition of visitors in the farm.
- Workers should take a shower and put on special clothes before coming in contact with flocks.
CRD is one of the most commonly occurring diseases in poultry.
Therefore, you should maintain strict biosecurity measures, proper ventilation, the adequate spacing of birds etc to prevent the occurrence of diseases and economic loss on the poultry farm.